Companies or firms engaged as "carriers" for transportation of goods have a legal liability to cargo owners and third parties as "bailee" for the goods whilst in their care, control and custody.
Haulier's Liability Insurance offers a protection to such companies or firms involved in the transportation of goods belonging to others by providing an indemnity up to an agreed limit against sums that the carriers shall become legally liable to pay as a carrier for total or partial loss or destruction of or damage to carried goods due to an accident to the Insured’s own or hired vehicles arising out of negligence on the part and attributable to the carrier.
Factors considered for fixing premium include annual gross receipts, limit per conveyance, policy aggregate limits & sub-limits, carrier's operating efficiency, past loss history and jurisdiction. A minimum and deposit premium is usually charged which will be subject to adjustment at expiry of insurance contract at an agreed rate on actual annual haulage (gross receipts) achieved.
- Liability in respect of damage to property belonging to Insured or his employees.
- Inherent defect or vice, wear and tear, deterioration, spontaneous combustion or decay of perishable goods
- Consequential loss arising from loss or damage to goods
- Any consequence of riots, strikes, war, ionising radiations
- Goods which may be illicit or illegal or smuggled
- Contractual Liability